February 20, 2025

Strange Sisters

http://www.strangesisters.com/index.htm

Fast forward three decades to Jaye Zimet's book with the appropriately appropriated title Strange Sisters: The Art of Lesbian Pulp Fiction 1949 - 1969. Published by Viking in 1999, this was the first book specifically focused on the two key decades for this genre's artwork. As soon as the book hit the shelves, I got calls... "have you seen it?!". Anyone who'd seen my room full of paperbacks (including a floor-to-ceiling velcro wall display with about 350 books attached) knew Zimet's book was a book for me.

I was thrilled to see someone had put forth the effort of compiling some great covers AND had found a publisher to foot the bill. Bravo! Zimet's book was thoughtfully and lovingly executed. It was done by a fan, a connoisseur... it's easy to tell. I added a couple of books to my want list and was happy to see dozens of top-notch covers showcased for the world. Still, I couldn't help but think of the books I had that were NOT included... literally hundreds of wild covers, many as good and certainly more outrageous than the ones Zimet included.